Oxford
Last Saturday, we went to Oxford to see Alex, who is doing his Ph.D. in economics at Oxford university. He took us on a quick tour of some parts of the town and university. We went to the Museum of the History of Science, which has a collection of old scientific instruments and related things. We also went out for lunch, and for drinks at a local pub and spent some time at Alex's residence just chatting and catching up and things. It was a pretty good trip, although the three hour bus ride had definitely lost its charm on the way back.To the pictures!
One of the university's library buildings. There were lots of neat old buildings around. Also lots of people getting in the shot. This is the best photo I ended up with.
Outside the Sheldonian theatre are a bunch of these guys:


I'm not sure who or what they're supposed to be, but the second guy was my favourite one.
In the museum:

A microscope from the 1800s. It's pretty. There were so many old instruments that were made to be decorative as well as functional. There was a special exhibition of astrolabes while we were there, and the decoration on many of them was really detailed and beautiful. Unfortunately though, the lighting in that area was really dim, so I don't have any pictures of them.

The medical section was what I found really neat. This is a medicine chest from about 1830. It is stocked with such wonderful things as bark powder, turkey rhubarb, sal volatile, and castor oil.

An actual section of preserved thoracic duct (which is part of your lymph system that goes up your spine), from about 1760. Ewwwww.

An artificial hand from the 16th century. It's made of iron. The fingers can actually be bent and straightened via triggers on the inside.


Alex and Dave outside the college where Alex hangs out. I overexposed the first picture, but converted to black and white, it looks much better. I wish I hadn't cut off their feet though, because that kills the composition. Also, hooray for funny faces.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home