More Flutterbys...
These are from a while ago, but over the summer, I managed to add a few new species to my butterfly photo collection.This first one doesn't count, as a) they are moths, not butterflies and b) they were in a zoo. However, they are really pretty and were lined up for a photo which I quite like, so I'm putting them in here anyway. Luna moths:

On to the actual wild butterflies. I have another picture of a Common Blue, which is very similar to my photo of a common blue from last time, but is a butterfly with slightly less beat-up wings, and therefore an improvement.

A new species for me - a rarer kind of blue butterfly, the Chalkhill Blue. I know it doesn't look very blue from the outside, but all of the blues have this sort of pattern on the outside of their wings. On the inside it is just as blue as the common blue.

An interestingly shaped orange butterfly - the Comma. Its name comes from a small white mark shaped like a comma on the underside of its wings. You can't see it in this photo, but this side is its more photogenic side anyway.

A Painted Lady. They're fairly common, I guess I had just been looking in the wrong places or something, because this was the first one I had seen.

And finally, a Small Skipper. I think. There are several species of skippers that look pretty similar, so I'm not entirely sure of this one, but I'm sure everyone will believe me.

So now I'm a few steps closer to having photographic evidence of all the species of butterflies in Cambridge. Maybe next summer I'll find some of the really rare, exciting ones for you.

1 Comments:
So what you are telling me is that something I have never seen is slightly bluer than something else I have never seen!
Post a Comment
<< Home